Tuesday, August 13, 2013

I Present to You, the Worlds Best Taco Soup! - via Our Best Bites


OK, first...I was completely distracted and totally forgot to take any pictures of me making this. I SWEAR I made it though. I'm borrowing a photo from Our Best Bites which is were I found this fantastic recipe. I've added their badge to my blog (lower right) as a tribute to their fantastic blog with all the yummy recipes. You should really check them out!

But anyways, this soup is seriously the bomb, yal...and I've got three people who will back me on that (those who got to enjoy it for dinner last night).

I made this on the stove top (and let it summer for about 20 minutes after I added all the ingredients).
Taco Soup
1 lb. extra lean ground beef (93% lean or or leaner)
1 onion, chopped
4-5 cloves garlic, minced
1 1.25-oz. packet taco seasoning (about 1/4 c.)
3 c. water, divided
2 28-oz. cans diced tomatoes
1 15-oz. can tomato sauce
2 15-oz. cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can corn, drained
Toppings: Pico de Gallo, light sour cream, shredded cheese, crushed tortilla chips, tortilla strips, guacamole, etc.
Heat a large soup pot over medium. When ready, brown the ground beef with the onion and garlic. When almost brown, add the taco seasoning and 1 c. water. Add the remaining ingredients, including the remaining 2 c. water, bring to a medium boil, then, cover and reduce heat. Simmer for at least 15 minutes. Serve with desired toppings. Makes 10 12-oz. servings.
Slow Cooker Instructions: After browning the meat, place all the ingredients into a slow cooker and cook on low for about 6-8 hours.
Freezer Instructions: Because of all the canned goods, you’ll just take up a lot of space in your freezer if you freeze the whole recipe. However, after it’s been cooked, the leftovers freeze extremely well. You can even try freezing individual portions in 12-oz. freezer-safe containers and then reheating them for a quick lunch.
--------

I topped it with cheese and sour cream (then I downed a lactaid pill) but the soup would totally be delicious without those toppings if you wanted to go completely non-dairy (which you should, because dairy is bad for you ;). 

I also served it with saltine crackers...which I could eat for a snack. They are so yummy! 

Enjoy!

-Dana 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! I love reading comments from my friends. Feel free to leave a note!